Josh Penn leads the way, Huskies win 4-1 against NVHS in home opener

The Huskies opened up the year slated at #4 in the state soccer rankings. The expectations are high, and so is the excitement level. Students packed into the stands on Tuesday to see the NNHS boys varsity soccer team take down Neuqua Valley High School 4-1 behind a historic effort from freshman Josh Penn.

It didn’t take long for the Huskies to get on the board. 9 minutes into the game, off a cross from senior midfielder Konrad Jurkieiwcz, freshman forward Josh Penn headed one in to make it 1-0.

“The team played very well last night,” said Penn of the team’s effort, “we kept the ball very well, defended as a team, and finished on our chances.”

Coming out of halftime the game was tied at one, and it didn’t take long for the Huskies’ relentless offense to once again put it in the back of the net. Just three minutes into the half, Penn scored on a ball rebounded off a shot from Junior Chris Sullivan. The Huskies kept on their attack, and 10 minutes later Penn once again finished on a rebounded shot, giving him his third goal. This would mark the first time in program history that a Freshman recorded three goals in one game, also known as a hat-trick. 

“I was really excited because I knew it was going to be a good game and that our Dawg Pound was going to be real rowdy,” Penn said. 

When asked about his nerves before the game, Penn said he wasn’t phased.

“I was confident in our team’s ability so I really wasn’t all that nervous,” Penn said. “It was just a great environment all around.”

The Huskies finished up their scoring when junior midfielder Chris Sullivan scored on a free kick with 24 minutes to go. The defense stepped up after that. This solidified a very strong showing from NNHS in their first game of the ‘Best of the Midwest’ tournament.

The Huskies take on Fremd at home on Thursday in their second game of the tournament. A victory in that game will give them a spot in the semi-final game on Saturday.