Top band makes SuperState Festival

For senior Alec McKeska, all of the little pieces are starting to fall into place. After countless hours of practice, McKeska is beginning to feel prepared.

“Most of our work has come down to mastering the smallest details in our pieces,” McKeska said.

In less than a month, Naperville North’s Symphonic Wind Ensemble will perform at this year’s Illinois SuperState Festival at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. They were one of five bands in Illinois in their class to be chosen.

Director Daniel Moore hardly felt surprised. He knew the students’ talent could secure them a spot.

“I was reasonably confident that we would be accepted,” Moore said. “We have a very fine band program here.”

The festival will take place at Foellinger Hall in the university’s Krannert Center. According to Moore, this is one of the most exciting parts of the festival.

“Our auditorium isn’t exactly meant to be acoustically appropriate for the type of music we play,” Moore said. “So I think the students are really excited to play in a great concert hall.”

The Symphonic Wind Ensemble, and the NNHS music department as a whole, adds both diversity and prestige to the school’s atmosphere, according to NNHS Dean of Student Activities, Jennifer Baumgartner.

“I love our school because we’re not just an athletic school,” Baumgartner said. We’re a fine arts school. We’re an academic school. We really have the full package.”

Baumgartner has seen the NNHS bands grow over the years. She applauds their success.

“They have a great future,” Baumgartner said. “They keep growing, and it’s such a neat thing to see.”

Moore whole-heartedly believes that the band’s success is a result of their work ethic.

“We have an incredible work ethic here in Naperville,” Moore said. “All students in all areas expect excellence.”

Moore isn’t alone in thinking so. Baumgartner also sees the Symphonic Wind Ensemble’s success as a result of their hard work.

“Kids are not good just by picking up their instruments,” Baumgartner said. “They practice and practice.”

According to Baumgartner, the students also benefit from an extensive support system.

“Parent’s are hugely involved in this program,” Moore said. “Staff are hugely involved in this program. It’s a combination of a lot of things.”

Nevertheless, Baumgartner said that the students deserve full credit for their accomplishments.

“Bottom line, it’s the students,” Baumgartner said. “It happens because our students love what they do.”