Children’s play showcases fresh talent

Freshman Lindsey Cernek stared in disbelief at the call board. At the top of the list, she found her name.  image

Just days before, Cernek walked into auditions, new to the Naperville North theater program. And now, she had just scored the lead in the children’s play.

“I was really surprised because I didn’t think that a freshman could get the lead,” Cernek said. “But I wanted to be a part of theater at North, and I thought this was a good way to start.”

This year, the children’s play will offer a satirical twist to “Sleeping Beauty,” the tale of old Nanny attempting to stop Princess Beauty, played by Cernek, from marrying the wrong prince. According to adviser Andrew Simon, the entire production is directed, produced and costumed by students.

“I always get a great sense of satisfaction in seeing student directors be able to pull a show together like this,” Simon said. “I think it gives students something to aim for as they get farther into their four years here.”

Simon said a significant purpose of the children’s play is to try and encourage new students to become involved in theater. This year is no exception; audiences will see a fresh and talented cast.

“This show has done more than any other children’s show I can recall in terms of the percentage of kids who have never been on stage here before,” Simon said. “We feel really good about that.”

Seniors Aleeza Leder Macek and Jesi Morris, directors of this year’s production, chose to run “Sleeping Beauty” because of its novelty when compared to children’s plays in past years. Leder Macek said the show caters to audience members of all ages.

“It’s a great show,” Leder Macek said. “The cast has been working really hard, and there’s going to be so many things that I think haven’t been done here before.”

Having directed many of the underclassmen, Leder Macek believes the future of theater at NNHS is promising. Freshmen accounted for nearly half of this year’s cast.

“If [the underclassmen] are doing this well now, then in four years, they’ll be doing great,” Leder Macek said.

According to producer Kate Jurkovic, a senior at NNHS, “Sleeping Beauty” is the result of a lot of time and effort. Typically, actors have eight weeks to prepare for shows. However, the cast of the children’s play only had five. Rehearsals have been especially hectic.

“It’s very different from all the others shows because we’re really showing that students are able to get a show up and running in a very short time,” Jurkovic said.

Despite the shortened time frame, Jurkovic said the cast has done a phenomenal job and will make it easy for audience members to love the characters.

Cernek agreed; she is excited for her first performance as Princess Beauty.

“Everyone should come out and see the show,” Cernek said.

“Sleeping Beauty” will be held Friday, Dec. 5 at 7 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 6 at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 7 at 2 p.m. in the NPAC. Tickets are $5 for students and seniors and $10 for adults. They can be purchased here or at the box office on the day of the performance.